You only buy carpet about every 10 years, so it is very difficult to know if you are picking the right quality for your home. The choices seem endless, should I choose plush, twist or loop pile? Which fibre is best for me? Wool, wool blend, nylon, polyester or a polymer made from natural corn sugar.
No one carpet fibre is inherently ‘better’ than any other. Each fibre comes in a variety of qualities and price ranges. The most important point is to choose a fibre, style and construction to suit your lifestyle and budget, that’s suitable for the room in which it will be placed.
Every shop you go to, has a different story, some salesmen tell you that every carpet in their store is heavy duty, so who do you trust.
The good news is, there is an independent carpet rating scheme
The Carpet Institute of Australia has developed the Australian Carpet Classification Scheme (ACCS). It’s a voluntary industry labelling and grading system for carpets of all fibres and is used by all the major suppliers.
An ACCS label gives the carpet a star-rating out of six for residential use and four for commercial or contract use, indicating how well it performed in a number of independently assessed wear and performance tests.
- The label also says whether it should be used in areas of light, medium, heavy or extra-heavy traffic.
- Check the label has a registration number to be sure it’s genuine.
- For residential high-traffic areas, such as entrance-ways, stairs and halls, it’s advisable to go for a heavy-duty carpet rating. Children’s playrooms also usually take a lot of punishment, so a highly durable carpet is worth considering there too.
- Carpets with an ACCS label carry a minimum statutory two-year warranty, though the manufacturer may also provide additional warranties.
- Wool carpets may also have a Woolmark or Fernmark label. These grading schemes are run by the Woolmark Company and Wools of New Zealand respectively and show that the carpet has met certain quality and durability standards
In addition, amazing new eco-friendly carpets from two leading manufacturers are now offering from up to 25 year wear and stain protection warranties. As a preferred supplier we can supply direct with great savings to you.